Sling TV was the first company to offer a live television streaming service for those looking to get away from cable subscription offerings. It provided a cost effective way to access live TV without being locked in to huge contracts. There have been quite a few alternatives popup but Sling TV remained the powerhouse. All that could change however with 5 big names offering a Sling TV alternative.
Sling TV Alternatives Are Coming
A few months ago Hulu announced that they will be rolling out a new live TV service to compete directly with Sling TV. The basic plan will cost only $35.99, the midrange plan $49.99 and a top level $60 plan. You can also add on video services such as HBO.
Directly following Hulu’s announcement word spread that YouTube is also planning to launch an alternative to Sling TV. It is expected that YouTube’s live TV streaming service will launch later this year.
DirecTV have long been known for offering Pay TV subscriptions however now they plan to enter the world of streaming. They have announced that they will be offering 3 different live TV streaming plans.
Very little is known about VIDGO however they have recently announced their entry into the live TV streaming marketing with the following
- Build your own programming packages
- Live linear local channels in select initial markets—ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, PBS
- National content providers—Disney-ABC, Discovery, and many other networks
- Sports—ESPN, NFL Network, live local sports content, MLB Network
- Video on demand including first-run movie titles
- Automatic cloud DVR: record everything, never miss a show
- Favourites menu bar for quickly accessing your most-watched channels
- Access to full programming line-up on-the-go or at home via Wi-Fi or 4G connection
- Multiple simultaneous device streams with each package
- Local channels in select initial markets including New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, and San Francisco
SFN TV NOW
The final Sling TV alternative comes from SFN TV NOW. Their service is currently available and starts at only $5. They offer a large range of sports channels as well as non-sports channels for those that don’t like sports. You can check it out over at the SFN TV NOW website.