Just recently, a couple of ASUS motherboards that were based on the newest AMD X470 chipset were introduced to the market. With that, we’re going to focus on the ATX motherboard of ASUS’ Ultimate Force series, the ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming motherboard. It’s a very budget-friendly product compared to its competitors, but despite this, it presents a vast number of features and useful technologies that will guarantee a stable and capable performance.
So before we get into more details about the TUFX470-Plus, its features, and performance, we have to see what other accessories are included in this motherboard’s package.
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming Review – What’s in the Box?
The boxes used for the TUF line of motherboards from ASUS is distinguished by the hints of yellow and black on it. The front portion of the TUF X470-Plus’ box features the device’s name written in bold fonts, and you can find this right in the middle of the package. On the upper left corner, you’ll find the company’s logo while its tagline is just beneath it. The back of the box mostly displays the TUF X470-Plus’ details, key features, specifications, and other vital information about the product.
Now for what’s inside the box: once you open the package, you’ll instantly find the ASUS TUF X470-Plus gaming motherboard which is kept securely in an antistatic container. It also includes a piece of cardboard to prevent the device from sliding during transport. It’s obvious that the manufacturer takes great care of their products, ensuring that there won’t be any damages acquired until it reaches your hands. After the base plate, you’ll find the rest of the necessary accessories for the motherboard.
All in all, the items included in the package are the following: the ASUS TUF X470-Plus gaming motherboard, a user manual, the ASUS QShield, two SATA 6GB cables, a pack of M.2 screws, a support DVD, one TUF certification card, and a TUF gaming sticker.
ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming Review – TUF Enough for the Most Hardcore of Gamers
ASUS is known for creating quality and durable motherboards; this only means that you can expect the same excellence from their TUF line of motherboards. The ASUS TUFX470-Plus Gaming motherboard is their latest entry in the market, and if you’re looking for a solid foundation for your system, then this could be the best option for you.
The ASUS TUF X470-Plus is a gaming motherboard that features the ATX format which gives it a measurement of 30.5 centimeters by 24.4 centimeters; this makes the motherboard compatible with most of the chassis that are available in the market. The TUF X470-Plus looks sleek and clean with its grey and black PCB, and the heatsinks also have the same colors but with hints of yellow in certain areas.
This gives the product a distinct look for the TUF series from ASUS since they moved from having military aesthetics which was dominant in their previous versions. Its design and style are mainly enhanced by the company’s Aura Sync lighting system which is highly configurable with 16.8 million colors and multiple lighting effects.
The ASUS TUFX470-Plus gaming motherboard also provides you with four DDR-4 DIMM slots which allows you to mount a total of 64GB of memory in a dual-channel configuration with a speed of 3,200 MHz. This setup also lets you take advantage of the motherboard’s excellent benefits; plus, you’ll also get to enjoy the advantages of the second-generation AMD Ryzen processors.
Next to the AM4 sockets, you’ll find the VRM of 6 + 2 power phases; the system features the DIGI+ technology which means that it is built with the quality components that are necessary to create this efficient and durable motherboard. The DIGI+ technology will also help you achieve better levels for overclocking, and it also provides better performance for the processor when it comes to a variety of tasks. It’s also nice that ASUS never neglects the quality of their VRM since this is something vital for all motherboards.
We’ve noticed that the manufacturer set heatsinks right at the top of the chipset and VRM components; these are very important elements to prevent the motherboard from overheating.
The ASUS TUFX470-Plus also features a TUF certification which guarantees that the motherboard is extremely reliable and efficient for various uses. This is all thanks to the company’s utilization of military-grade components which include the TUF Chokes, TUF MOSFETs, TUF Capacitors, and the TUF LANGuard.
The TUF X470-Plus motherboard also makes use of a variety of technologies, ensuring that you’ll have great stability and excellent security in your system. For the technologies that have been utilized, ASUS incorporated SafeSlot, Gamer Guardian, and Fan Xpert 4 Core, to name a few.
These elements will make your PC more efficient, and it will also let you easily monitor every parameter such as the load, temperature, operating frequencies, and more.
Now for the specifications of the ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming motherboard: it is integrated with the high-performing Ryzen processor which supports up to a total of eight cores and is based on the ingenious Zen core architecture.
The processor also has a built-in Radeon – Vega Graphics / 7th Generation A – Series APU. The AMD AM4 socket processors highlight the dual-channel DDR-4 memory, 3.0 / 2.0 lanes , and native 5 Gbps 3.1 USB Gen 16 & 1 PCIe for excellent performance. With the motherboard’s dual backward compatible 3.1 USB Gen 2 Type – A, you will be able to experience the best connection adaptability and a seamless data transfer speed of up to 10Gbps, or even twice as fast as the 3.1 USB Gen 1.
With the x4 PCIe 3.0 bandwidth, the M.2 can support up to 32Gbps data transfer speed. Generally, it’s the perfect option for an application drive or operating system to make your apps and PC work as fast as possible.
ASUS also considered gaming enthusiasts when creating the TUF X470-Plus Gaming motherboard which is why it includes two 3.0 x 16 PCI Express slots. These will allow you to fully enjoy excellent performance even with the most demanding games; also, it features two graphics card slots where one is reinforced with steel to easily handle much larger and more powerful graphics cards.
There are also three PCIe 2.0×1 slots available and these are specifically for the expansion cards. The ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming also features a total of six SATA 6Gbps connections which is a classic feature for any current motherboard that is available in the market.
Though we can’t deny that a lot of us are already utilizing NAS systems at home or even at work, having these present can still be advantageous. The motherboard also features two M.2 NVMe slots that let you install high-quality SATA PCI Express units. For the AMD X470 chipset, it delivers excellent overclocking capacities for the newest AMD AM4 socket – Ryzen processors, Athlon CPUs, and 7th Generation-A S series APUs.
This has also been optimized for numerous GPU configurations such as AMD CrossFire X and NVIDIA SLI; it also has two 10Gbps 3.1 USB Gen 2 ports, as well as eight 6Gbps SATA ports for quicker data retrieval.
When it comes to the sound, the TUFX470-Plus features the Realtek ALC-887 VD2 audio engine that has an eight-channel HD sound for you to have a better user experience. It’s great that their sound engine is manufactured using high-quality components, and they also included a separate area for the PCB to give you a cleaner sound without any distortions or interference.
The motherboard also includes the RTL8111H network controller from Realtek which has the TUF LANGuard technology. It’s great that this feature is included since it provides more protection from power surges.
The ASUS TUFX 470-Plus Gaming motherboard is specifically designed to withstand harsh conditions where other boards would usually struggle. It is engineered with extremely durable components, thus, delivering consistent stability for prolonged gaming sessions.
When you build using this gaming motherboard from ASUS, you’ll also benefit from the TUF Gaming Alliance; the company collaborated with the most trusted industry partners that guarantee easier building, complementary aesthetics, and the best compatibility. The TUFX470-Plus also provides easier and safer DIY builds by integrating great designs, having strong partnerships with major manufacturers of components, and by using innovative engineering for their products.
Its unrivaled mix of TUF Protection, military-grade TUF components, and the TUF Gaming Alliance only means that you’ll have worry-free gaming that will go the distance.
ASUS’ TUF X470-Plus has an exclusive DTS Custom feature that is great for gaming headsets. The company made use of progressive emulation techniques to create cues through stereo earphones; with this, the DTS Custom brings onboard audio to a whole new level to make you further enjoy your gaming experience.
What’s good about this is that there are three presets – Soundscape, Aerial, and Tactical – available for different game genres, giving you the upper hand in every game that you play. For Surge Protection, the ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming motherboard integrates the TUF LANGuard for premium surface-mounted capacitors to boost throughput. This protects the TUF X470-Plus from static electricity or lightning strikes.
Another great feature of the TUF X470-Plus is its flexible cooling controls. We all know that system temperatures are vital for stable gaming rigs, especially when it comes to the GPU; with this gaming motherboard, it includes the Fan Xpert 4 Core software that can easily control system fans based on the input of numerous sensors such as the condition of ASUS’ graphics cards. This guarantees that the TUF Gaming system that you have stays cool every time, no matter how long your gaming sessions last.
When we tested the ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming Motherboard, it was nice that we were able to increase its maximum frequency to 4250 MHz just like with some of the other motherboards from ASUS. As for its temperature, the hottest part of the board wasn’t even that hot so we’re amazed by this as well. This gaming motherboard is an excellent choice if you do not need an increase in power phases and Wi-Fi connection, or if you’re simply on a tight budget.
Using the Product
Now for the TUF X470-Plus’ UEFI BIOS. ASUS continuously offers the best BIOS for their AM4 socket, and they also ensure that it receives adequate and regular updates. We’re quite amazed that the company didn’t miss out on any vital details for the BIOS, and we also found all the options that are present on the ROG Crosshair models.
We noticed that the BIOS’ graphic interface went through a couple of minor improvements in terms of animation; though when it comes to the layout of the menu, it remained the same. By default, the EZ mode is the first thing that loads so you’ll be greeted by the start screen that displays the basic details about all the connected devices such as the SATA drives, memory, processor, fans, and even the voltage, processor temperature, system mode, and the fan’s speed.
We really liked the BIOS’ layout since it was clean, simple, and easy to understand. We didn’t experience any difficulties when searching for specific options and settings; plus, it also had the Aura Sync feature which is good for this motherboard. The feature is efficient since it offers you full RGB lighting control with numerous functional presets for the integrated RGB LEDs; it also works for the strips that are linked to present RGB headers. Lastly, this can also be synced with a vast portfolio of Aura-capable hardware.
- AMD AM4 Socket AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/Ryzen™ 1st Generation/7th Generation A-series/Athlon X4 Processors
- Supports CPU up to 8 cores
- Refer to www.asus.com for CPU support list
- AMD X470
- AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
- 4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
- AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors
- 4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
- Dual Channel Memory Architecture
- Refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
- Integrated Graphics in the AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series APU
- Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI-D ports
- Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI-D with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Maximum shared memory of 2048 MB (for iGPU exclusively)
- Supports AMD CrossFireX™ Technology
- AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors
- 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode)
- AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics /7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors
- 1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x8 mode)
- AMD X470 chipset
- 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (max at x4 mode)
- 3 x PCIe 2.0 x1
- AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors :
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
- AMD 7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA mode)
- AMD X470 chipset :
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 2 mode)
- 6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s)
- Support Raid 0, 1, 10
- Realtek® RTL8111H
- TUF LANGuard
- Realtek® ALC887-VD2 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Exclusive DTS Custom for GAMING Headsets.
- Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Audio Cover: Effective shielding preserves the integrity of audio signals to ensure best quality.
AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation/7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, , Type-A)
- AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generation/ Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Ryzen™ 1st Generation/7th Generation A-Series/Athlon X4 Processors :
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (1 at back panel, , USB Type-CTM)
- AMD X470 chipset :
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (2 at back panel, )
- AMD X470 chipset :
- 4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (4 at mid-board)
- AMD X470 chipset :
- 6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, , 4 at mid-board)
- ASUS SafeSlot: Protect your graphics card Investment
- ASUS ESD Guard: Enhanced ESD protection
- ASUS Overvoltage Protection: World-class circuit-protecting power design
- ASUS Stainless-Steel Back I/O: 3X corrosion-resistance for greater durability!
- ASUS DIGI+ VRM: 6 Phase digital power design
- Aura Lighting Control
- AI Suite 3
- Ai Charger
- PC Cleaner
- Stylish Fanless Design Heat-sink solution & MOS Heatsink
- ASUS Fan Xpert 4 Core
- ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
- ASUS EZ Flash 3
- ASUS UEFI BIOS EZ Mode
- ASUS Q-Slot
- ASUS Q-DIMM
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
Back I/O Ports
- 1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse combo port(s)
- 1 x DVI-D
- 1 x HDMI
- 1 x LAN (RJ45) port(s)
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A,
- 1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (blue) USB Type-CTM,
- 2 x USB 2.0
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 (blue)
- 3 x Audio jack(s)
Internal I/O Ports
- 1 x RGB Header(s)
- 2 x USB 3.1 Gen 1(up to 5Gbps) connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (19-pin)
- 2 x USB 2.0 connector(s) support(s) additional 4 USB 2.0 port(s)
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M key, type 2242/2260/2280/22110 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 x 4 mode)
- 1 x M.2 Socket 3 with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support (SATA & PCIE 3.0 X2 mode)
- 6 x SATA 6Gb/s connector(s)
- 1 x CPU Fan connector(s) (1 x 4 -pin)
- 3 x Chassis Fan connector(s) (3 x 4 -pin)
- 1 x AIO_PUMP connector (1 x 4 -pin)
- 1 x 24-pin EATX Power connector(s)
- 1 x 8-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
- 1 x Front panel audio connector(s) (AAFP)
- 1 x System panel(s)
- 1 x Clear CMOS jumper(s)
- 1 x COM port header
- User’s manual
- ASUS Q-Shield
- 2 x SATA 6Gb/s cable(s)
- 1 x M.2 Screw Package
- 1 x Supporting DVD
- 1 x TUF GAMING Sticker
- 1 x TUF Certification card(s)
- 256 Mb Flash ROM, UEFI AMI BIOS, PnP, SM BIOS 3.0, ACPI 6.0, Multi-language BIOS, ASUS EZ Flash 3, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3, My Favorites, Last Modified log, F12 PrintScreen, ASUS User Profile,ASUS DRAM SPD (Serial Presence Detect) memory information, F6 Qfan Control,F4 AURA ON/OFF,F9 Search
- DMI 3.0, WOL by PME, PXE
- Windows® 10 64-bit
- ATX Form Factor
- 0 inch x 9.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 24.4 cm )
How to Overclock
ASUS has released another gaming motherboard under the TUF line, and all we can say is that the TUFX470-Plus is a great motherboard that performs excellently. The TUF X470-Plus Gaming is considered as one of the best options for cost-efficient motherboards; it doesn’t only look good, but it also offers great performance, quality components, and an outstanding overclocking capacity. What we really like about the motherboard is that it features a well-balanced base plate AMD construction.
The ASUS TUF X470-Plus Gaming also features numerous protective mechanisms; plus, it has an aesthetically-pleasing system lighting which makes it even better than other gaming motherboards around.
Although this is an entry-level motherboard for gamers, it features all the latest technologies that allow you to use 3.1 USB ports, install a pair of M.2 drives and two video cards. If you need an affordable motherboard with good features, we suggest that you give the ASUS TUF X470-Plus gaming motherboard a try.
Where to Buy
You can get yourself an ASUS TUS X470-Plus Gaming motherboard for your new rig for around $249AUD. For more information head on over to the official product page.